A new school year, a new adventure! With so many people preparing for the year (including myself, as I am a middle school Spanish teacher!), healthy food for the family sometimes falls to the wayside, even though we all operate better with some food in our bellies!
These little breakfast muffins are perfect to help you (and your children!!!) start your day off right with protein to tide you over until lunch. Not only are these quick and easy and can refrigerate all week, but they are great hot or cold and even FREEZE WELL! Hope you enjoy these little delights from my home to yours.
- 1 10 oz. package frozen, chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 15 oz. can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat cheddar (Sargento makes a great one!)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Combine black beans, spinach, diced tomato, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spoon bean mixture into greased muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, water, and shredded cheese, reserving about a tablespoon to top the muffins.
- Pour egg mixture into tins over bean mixture to cover.
- Top with shredded cheddar.
- Bake until cooked, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite salsa for a good morning kick!
- Freezes well - when cool, flash freeze muffins on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes to an hour. Place in a freezer bag and freeze.
- Yields 10 muffins, but a larger tomato will cause a larger yield!