Every year I am completely paranoid at about this time. Germs. They are everywhere. With a couple weeks of school under our belts, the students start dropping like flies as the inaugural virus works its way through every family on campus. The kids go first…and then the adults. I ALWAYS drink my orange juice and take my vitamins, but what else can be done? I’ll tell you what – drink one of these vitamin-packed smoothies!
I started drinking these for breakfast in the summer (though they are great for an afternoon pick-me-up or a dessert, as well). I would wake up, go for a morning run, and then have one of these babies after I stretched. I am absolutely convinced I had more energy because of them. Not only that, but I stayed full longer than when I ate cereal for breakfast because of the protein in the Greek yogurt. Another plus – the flaxseed meal is a great source of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. Hope you enjoy this one as much as I do. I have one almost every day!
- 1/4 cup orange juice (I like fresh squeezed, or low-acid if I'm in a rush!)
- 1/2 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order they appear in the ingredients list.
- Blend until smooth.
- Putting your wet ingredients (O.J., yogurt) in first helps smoothie blend together faster.