So it is the middle of the week and you have been invited to a dinner party. The host is taking care of everything else, but you have been asked to bring a side. This means you will need to get home from work, whip up a side that travels well and will be as good later as it is when you make it, and get yourself to dinner on time. Has this ever happened to you? It has to me — and with frequency, too! It is always nice to get together with friends, but bringing a dish to their house can be such a hectic mess that so many people just turn to store bought. Only problem – your store bought options are rarely the healthiest.
For all these reasons and more, I love this recipe! It is so quick that you won’t even notice you had to bring anything to the party at all and if you take your “dressing” separate from the rest of the cole slaw and add it when you get there, it will be absolutely perfect when you serve it! In my house, we love this recipe so much that we do not just reserve it for parties – we have it as a side regularly. John once lived in South Korea for a year, so we joke that this recipe helps him get his weekly ramen rations. Enjoy this one. As for me, I’m taking it to a party later this week!
- 12 oz. broccoli slaw
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 package ramen noodles, crumbled and toasted (discard seasoning packet)
- 2 tbsp. sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. reduced sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix rice vinegar and tamari together in a small bowl.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cole slaw mixture and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- If making for a party, take your dry ingredients in a bowl and your wet mixture in a Ziploc or small tupperware to combine when you get there!
- You may want to make extra of this one - people tend to love it!