Whenever I have somehow forgotten to plan dinner or lunch and we need something in a hurry, we make these quesadillas. Talk about a quick and easy recipe! This one is a dinner/lunch in 15 minutes. You could also make these as a snack or appetizer to share with many people! It is super tasty, but leaves me feeling refreshed because of the spinach and sweet potato. Some quesadillas can make you feel sluggish because of all of the cheese. While this still has some delicious cheddar, it gets most of its flavors from the other ingredients. Also, most of the ingredients keep well, so we tend to have them on hand. The only thing we might have to run out for is the spinach, but that isn’t much!
I usually make one of the quesadillas to split between John and myself. If we are still hungry after the first one, I make us another one – we save our left overs to have as a snack later. With each serving (1/2 a quesadilla) weighing in at only 267 calories, it is certainly a meal where we can afford to have seconds. I like the method of making them one at a time, though, because sometimes my eyes are a little bigger than my stomach. If I eat a serving and then have to decide whether or not I need more, I am less likely to overeat based on my initial hunger!
I actually just ate, but writing about this quesadilla is making me crave one. Maybe I will make some as an appetizer this weekend to share with my family and friends!
- 1/3 cup refried beans
- 1/8 cup low-fat shredded cheddar
- 1/4 of a medium sweet potato, cooked and sliced into thin strips
- 4 large black olives, sliced
- 2 tbsp. salsa
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 2 medium wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 avocado, sliced into thin strips
- Lay one tortilla in a skillet.
- Spread cheese evenly across the tortilla.
- Lay slices of sweet potato evenly over cheese on tortilla.
- Sprinkle olives over sweet potato and cheese on the tortilla.
- Dribble 1 tablespoon of the salsa evenly over the tortilla.
- Pile spinach leaves on top of salsa layer on the tortilla.
- Heat skillet on medium heat until cheese begins to melt.
- While the bottom tortilla is cooking, spread the beans over the other tortilla.
- When cheese has just begun to melt, lay the second tortilla (beans side down) on top of the first tortilla, sandwiching all ingredients between the two tortillas.
- Continue cooking a minute or two longer (keep an eye on how brown and crispy your bottom tortilla is getting by lifting an edge to check).
- When bottom tortilla has lightly browned, carefully flip quesadilla to cook the other tortilla for a couple minutes. Again, keep an eye on how brown the tortilla is getting.
- When it reaches desired doneness (both tortillas have lightly browned), remove from heat and cut.
- Top with non-fat Greek yogurt, remaining salsa, and avocado - enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/2 quesadilla ・267 calories per serving
- Try making 1 quesadilla to split between two people. If you are still hungry, you can make another and save whatever you have left over for a snack for later.