Who doesn’t love the delicious, crispy flavor of fried chicken? I know I do, but it doesn’t always agree with my healthy frame of mind! That’s where this recipe comes in! You end up with a delicious, flavorful, crispy chicken that was NOT bathed in oil. Instead, it is baked on a wire cooling rack over a cookie sheet to allow for maximum crispening!
This recipe is gluten-free, low in sugar, as well as low in fat. Combine it with the Herb Roasted Beets & Butternut that I recently posted and you’ve got a great meal to help your little ones come down from their sugar-high after trick-or-treating tonight! Chop the chicken into pieces and serve it with a little ketchup and it might as well be chicken nuggets that a grown-up would like, too.
- 6 small (~4oz.), boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or you can cut larger breasts into 4 oz. pieces)
- 1 cup of rice chex cereal
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Put rice chex in food processor and pulse until you have coarse crumbs.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the crumbs with the parmesan in a wide-rimmed bowl and stir until well mixed.
- Combine the mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper in another wide-rimmed bowl. Use a fork to stir until well mixed. (This recipe gets sodium from other ingredients, so careful not to over salt!)
- Dip each piece of chicken into the mustard mixture. Use your fingers to spread the mustard evenly over both sides of the chicken to coat.
- Roll each piece of chicken in the rice crumb/parmesan mixture, pressing lightly to get a better application of the crumbs.
- Place the chicken on an oven-safe cooling rack sprayed with cooking spray, on top of a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes (until juices run clear when you cut into the meat if you don't trust chicken!)
- Allow chicken to rest 3-5 minutes before serving so it will retain it's juices when cut.
- Serving Size: One small breast (4oz) ・183 calories per serving